We waited until the proper authorities have issued their official word, and now that it has come out, we respect their decision to close Mt. Apo for the time being. Although the Davao trails are still officially open at the moment, there is no certainty that this will be the case in the near future, given the CENRO recommendation to close Mt. Apo for now. Reasons cited were broad, ranging from forest fires to garbage. Unlike Mt. Pulag where we see no reason to close the mountain, we acknowledge that the thousands of visitors who visit Mt. Apo during summer are really taking their toll on the mountain, and hence we respect and support the decision that was made, even as we will be vigilant on how this case proceeds.
In connection with this, the PinoyMountaineer.com-organized Mt. Apo Summer Climb scheduled from May 1-4, 2010 will not push through. However, we will still help participants who already booked their flights find alternatives, such as Mt. Talomo or Mt. Hamiguitan. They can also take they their chances should Mt. Apo be opened on that date. I have designated Max Marfori as the Climb Secretariat who will coordinate with the participants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Those who already submitted their application forms will also be emailed personally about these developments.
The Mt. Pulag Friendship Climb, however, will push through as scheduled, on April 17-18, 2010. In accordance to park rules and regulations we have limited the number of participants for this climb and it is already fully booked at the moment. Participants who have been confirmed or reserved have all been notified through email by Daniel Dellosa, Climb Secretariat.